This year, with Santa behind plexiglass, Christmas concerts via Zoom, and more online shopping than ever, the holiday season looks a little different, but we’re not letting that put a bah humbug in our holiday mood! Enjoy these five yoga poses to get into the Christmas spirit, have a little fun, and improve your strength and flexibility.
- Sugar Plum Fairy. Start in a standing position with your feet together. Bend one leg at the knee grabbing your foot with your hand. Begin to tip forward and reach your lifted foot up behind you. Feel like a beautiful, graceful dancer. Repeat on the other side.
2. Bow Pose. Lie down on your belly legs stretched long arms down at your sides. Gently bend your knees bringing your feet toward your bottom. Reach back with your hands grabbing your ankles. Inhale as you look up, then slowly unwrap your bow pose.
3. Santa Hat. Start in a standing position with your feet flat on the floor. Bend at the waist putting your hands on the floor by your feet. Step your feet back, making an upside-down “V” with your body. Make your arms and legs strong and take a couple of deep breaths while saying ho, ho, ho.
4. Christmas Star. Start in a standing position with your feet together. Step your feet out wide and follow by stretching your arms out wide. Pull your tummy in, make your legs strong, and tuck your tailbone under. Pretend light is shooting out from your fingertips as your stretch wider and farther and shine brighter.
5. Reindeer Pose. Start in standing position with your feet together. Step one foot back turning your toes out. Bend your front knee into a lunge. Inhale bringing your arms up over your head. Keep your fingers wide like reindeer antlers as you call out each reindeer name. Repeat on the other side.
And if you’re looking for even more holiday fun, try a live online kids yoga class with www.hopalongyogi.com.
Laura Kowalski is owner/founder of Hop Along Yogi Kids Yoga and has created the mission to bring strength, mindfulness, and joy to ALL kids.